The first voxel editor for Tiberian Sun (and RA2) was created by Will. Because he lost the sources, he was unable to finish it. A few months later, he started working on Voxel Section Editor II, which was open-source (so he'd never lose the source again). After Will lost interest in the Voxel Editor, it was first continued by Plasmadroid. I took Plasmadroid's version and improved it. So here is the Voxel Section Editor II (Will->Plasmadroid->Koen version).
Note: there are updated versions around by Stucuk which are newer than v1.7. These versions have new options which aren't found in v1.7. This version is also known as Voxel Section Editor III. Since I have not worked on that newer version, I prefer to continue distribution of this stable version for now.
Here's v1.7 (19-01-2003): Download v1.7 final
revisions by Koen
- Fixed 3D view to support full rotation; thanks to Stucuk for this!
- BUGFIX: When in Normals editing mode, no longer will the color change too. The modes are now independant (at least when drawing).
1.6 beta 3
revisions by Koen
- Optimized 3D view a bit
- Some changes to normalising code
- Forgot the rest... didn't write down other changes
1.6 beta 2
revisions by Kamil (Plasmadroid)
- 3D View!
revisions by Koen
- added my own auto-normals routine (based on file knormals.ini).
- merged Will's 1.6 beta with my 1.41 beta and with Kamil's 3d version, giving 1.6 beta 2
- BUGFIX: 3D View doesn't crash on non-cuboid voxels
- UPDATE: 3D View memory leak fixed (I think; I removed a lot of TBitmap creates/frees).
- BUGFIX: 3D View should now be able to handle voxel sections with > 9000 voxels too.
- NOTE: Kamil made the 3D view, I just tweaked it a little :)
revisions by Will
- can auto-normalise! Place normal-scheme files (.normals) in the same directory as the editor, and they appear in the Sections|Autonormals menu (if they loaded correctly)
- can optimise better! The remove-redundant-voxels function now does not remove voxels that are on the underside of slopes, stopping holes appearing in the model in the game
- BUGFIX: replaced recusive search for model outsides with a multi-pass algorithm, stopping stack overflows in very large voxel models with a lot of outside space in them
- BUGFIX: normals spectrum not set when openning new models
- BUGFIX: auto-normalise and optimise now clear the undo buffer (and warn the user that they will)
- BUGFIX: normals spectrum now based upon the normals scheme for the section
- BUGFIX: normals now shown when the normals mode is selected
- CODE REVIEW: like Koen and Plasmadroid's work! Thanks for all the effort, lads!
- 1.5 skipped to allow for working versions by Koen and Plasmadroid
revisions by Koen
- Header editing (partially)
- BUGFIX: Voxel.LoadFromFile didn't close file! Messed up things when in plug-in mode.
- BUGFIX: No more ToolBar Resize button causes an error (when no file open)
- Little improves in: Scroll Box (Zoom in & out)
- About box backgroung image changed
- Rectangle tool now supported - simply click Rectangle button (left Bar) and: first click on PaintBox = Rectangle begin, second click (anywhere) = Rectangle End
- RectangleFill Tool is now supported too. [Kamil ^aka Plasmadroid^]
- Floodfill: It now actually does what you'd expect: fill an entire area.
- Color Select Tool added.
- Brush tool added: You can choose Brush with one of 4 sizes.
- Added Flip commands (Flip X, Y and Z)
- Added Mirror commands (Mirror Horizontal/Vertical)
- Added Nudge commands (Nudge Left/Right/Up/Down)
- BUGFIX: The Undo/Redo commands didn't update the two small views.
- BUGFIX: When switching direction of a view, clicks weren't translated properly (old ZBuffer bug again).
- BUGFIX: Det part of the header wasn't set correctly when adding new section.
- This version will be available as a TibEd plug-in along with TibEd v1.4
- Loads of small changes and bugfixes, but I can't remember them all.
These changes are listed with 1.4 final
- Crosshair (showing current slice of voxel) isn't redrawn when drawing. This
is a bit faster, but mostly less annoying.
- BUGFIX: Rewrote the TranslateClick range checking. No more crashes, and
the bottom row can now be edited properly. (also known as ZBuffer bug)
- Insert sections before and after (no longer just as last section)
- Got rid of all compiler warnings.
- The Recently used file list now starts counting at 1 instead of 0. (only
programmers make such mistakes ;)
- The recently used file list now has 10 items instead of 4
- New, multi-level undo/redo system (and faster than the old, single-level
- 'New section' command added: Add new sections to voxels? (*not* tested)
- New "View Header" option added
- Now options are saved again (broken in 1.1)
- The history works properly now (broken in 1.1)
- Loading/saving code cleaned up
- Options now stored in registry
- Fixed memory leaks in options dialog
- The reopen file history now goes up to 4 files (Note: can be as high as
36 -> HistoryDepth constant)
- Forms created on-demand instead of at startup
- TibEd plug-in support (in progress)
- Added About dialog box
- Open *.vxl file as -> Vxlse.exe
- Menu Bar
- File -> Save
- HVA Editor launcher
- dialog box when file isn't saved
- some bug fixes
- File -> New
- Reopen -> Last Opened Vxl File (works)
- Options Menu