VPatch is a free patch generator which can generate small patch files which can update old versions to new versions. This means that if the old version is installed on the user system, you can patch it to the new version, and you don't have to distribute the full new version, only the much smaller patch.
When distributing patches, you can attach the patch to the patch runtime in either EXE form, or in NSIS 2 plugin form.
Note: VPatch is now open-source and is included inside NSIS 2. However, NSIS 2 does not include the GUI (it does include the GUI source though). You can download the GUI with the VPatch distribution available below. Note that this distribution is just a zipped version of the files in NSIS, with the GUI included.
If you want to encourage future work on VPatch, or are a very happy user, you can make a donation using the button below.
- 3.2: New tool: ListPat, which can be used to inspect the contents of a .PAT file.
- 3.2: New runtime: VPatchPrompt, which prompts when command-line arguments are not specified. This runtime also auto-detects when it does not have a patch file attached to it, in which case it will try to get it from the command-line (or from prompting).
- 3.2: Synced portability code changes with NSIS repository.
- 3.2: Windows version of GenPat now also accepts all options with - besides /.
- 3.2: New option for GenPat: /Q to be less verbose during output.
- 3.2: Upgraded to Borland Developer Studio 2006, so all tools can be built from a single project.
- 3.1: GenPat now compiles on Visual C++ 6, Borland C++, MinGW and GCC (POSIX).
- Completely rewritten patch generator in C++ with better performance and no longer needs big amounts of memory.
- Use MD5 checksums instead of CRC32
- Restore file dates when patching
- Updated all runtimes to use a single codebase
- Test cases (for basic functionality tests)
- and more... read the readme inside for all changes.
VPatch 3 and NSIS
If you want to use VPatch 3 with NSIS, be sure to upgrade the plugin included with NSIS. NSIS 2.09 and lower contain the 2.1 plug-in which cannot handle the new patch files. You can find a compiled version of the updated plugin below. Extract it to the Plugins folder within your NSIS folder.
Previous version: VPatch 2.1 (december 2003)